Welcome from the Chair of Governors.
Welcome to the governors pages of Magdalen Gates website. I hope this will give you an idea of who the governors are and what we do.
Personally I have been a governor since 2010 and was elected as chair in 2013. I began as a parent governor and in 2014 was re elected as a Community governor. After reconstitution of the governing board in September 2015, I was re-elected as Chair as a co-opted governor. It is a role I am extremely proud of and take my responsibility very seriously. I am pleased to say that the governing board at Magdalen Gates has an excellent working relationship with the Head Teacher, Ms Fahy.
Our Role, what we do
* Our role is essentially strategic, the operational running of the school is the responsibility of the Head Teacher.
* We are responsible for the conduct of the school.
* We must promote high standards of education, ensuring continued school improvement. Therefore we hold the Head Teacher to account for educational performance.
* We must be a critical but supportive friend to the school.
* Help the school be responsive to the needs of pupils, parents and the community.
* Ensure clarity of vision.
* Oversee financial performance, making sure money is spent effectively in line with the school development/improvement plans.
How do we do this
We meet once a half term as a full governing body.
We delegate responsibilities to small committees and working parties that meet once a term. All meetings are minuted and available on request. Chairs of committees and working parties feedback descions/ideas at full governing meetings.
We have two main committees :
* Premises, Finance and Personnel,
We have a working party for Safeguarding, and form other working parties as needs arise.
We all do training to ensure we keep up to date and to improve the skills within the board.
Within meetings we review policies, approve and set Budgets, set strategic direction, review data of pupil progress. We have reports at very full governors meeting from the Head Teacher. Teachers and pupils come into our meetings to explain things they are doing within the school.
Governors take on individual responsibilities/links within the school.
We also come into school to do learning walks , so we can see that the school in action. This is probably a favourite role of some of us as we get to see the children and what they are doing.
We will be sending out a Termly Newsletter to parents and guardians to keep you up to date re the governing board every term, a copy will be posted on these pages.
Ms J. Duesbury (Chair)
Mrs P. Lumb
Mr D. Wadsworth (Chair of Teaching and Learning)
Rev. M. Palmer
Mrs A. Musgrave (Chair of Safeguarding)
Mr. Sean O’Neill (LA Governor and Vice Chair)
Mr. Richard Bearman (Chair of Finance)
Ms C. Fahy (Head Teacher)
Ms. H Collison (Deputy Head Teacher)
Fiona Johnston (Clerk to the Governors)
Mrs. V Marks (left Nov 2015
Mrs. J Brociek Coulton (left Jan 2016)
Mrs. S Mann (left Feb 2016)
Mr. J Mulhall (left June 2016)
Ms S .Corby (left May 2017)